Bayern Munich Vs. Dortmund | FULL HIGHLIGHTS | DFB Cup – 2/27/2013
Munich – FC Bayern Munich exacted revenge for two years of Borussia Dortmund dominance as Arjen Robben’s superb curling strike earned them a 1-0 win in Wednesday’s DFB Cup quarter-final at the Allianz Arena.
It was a deserved victory for the record titleholders, who were the dominant side throughout and arguably should have won by a greater margin against the holders.
With a sell-out crowd right behind them, Bayern established an early control on proceedings, with Robben drawing a sharp save out of Roman Weidenfeller early on.
Time and space were a luxury afforded to neither side, but with the battle for possession swinging in their favour, the hosts ought to have taken the lead when Philipp Lahm’s deflected cross was palmed into the path of Toni Kroos, but the Bayern midfielder failed to tuck in at the far post with the goal at his mercy.
With Dortmund failing to impose themselves in the final third the chances continued to roll for Bayern. However, after Weidenfeller denied Javi Martinez, it was left to Robben to deliver the hammer blow on the cusp of half-time, curling into the top corner from the edge of the area.
The pace of the game showed no signs of waning after the restart and as the the visitors found their rhythm, Ilkay Gündogan and Marco Reus each went close to leveling the scores.
No late drama
Still, an equaliser would have flattered Dortmund, who had Weidenfeller to thank late on for a string of top saves to deny Martinez, Dante and van Buyten in succession. The largely anonymous Robert Lewandowski sent a late overhead sailing high and wide, but it was all a sideline to Bayern successfully securing their place in the last four and recapturing their crown as Germany’s undisputed No1.
Bayern: Neuer – Lahm, van Buyten, Dante, Alaba – Javi Martinez, Schweinsteiger – T. Müller (Gustavo 79’), Kroos, Robben – Mandzukic (Gomez 90′)
Dortmund: Weidenfeller – Piszczek, Subotic, Felipe Santana, Schmelzer – S. Bender, Gündogan – M. Götze, Reus (Schieber 81’), Großkreutz (Blaszczykowski 62’) – Lewandowski
Goals: 1-0 Robben (43’)
Share and Enjoy
Today's Popular Videos
- Javad Nekounam Talks to Spanish TV
- Ashkan Dejagah vs. Manchester United | HIGHLIGHTS
- Ghoochannejhad | Interview with BBC Persian
- • Tehran Derby #77 • | Esteghlal VS. Perspolis | » HIGHLIGHTS
- MEHDI MAHDAVIKIA | Farewell | Perspolis – Milan
- Persepolis vs Peykan – Goals
- Saeid Abdevali – Summer Olympics 2012 | Shameful referee mistakes
- Mehdi Mahdavikia | – Tragic farewell match
- Introducing Iran To The World Again – Brasil 2014
- Visiting Ali Daei in Hospital [HQ]
- Sanat Naft Abadan Vs. Esteghlal Tehran | Match Highlights – IPL 12/13 – Week 33
- Javad Nekounam in press-conference before Barca game
- Volleyball – Iran Vs. China | FIVB Men’s World Olympic Qualification 2012
- Farhad Majidi – Interview on Navad (7/23/12)
- Saipa – Esteghlal Tehran | ALL HIGHLIGHTS – IPL 12/13 – Week 2